For centuries the name of St. Rollox has been associated with the area formerly known as Garngad (now Royston). In 1800 the Tennant family built the huge St. Rollox Chemical works near what is now known as Sighthill, and the name was later used for the Caledonian Railway St. Rollox Locomotive Works in the 1850s.
The origins of the present congregation lie in the mission work carried out in the Garngad area in the mid-nineteenth century by a minister of the United Presbyterian church, Rev. David Forrest. The congregation was formally constituted in 1855 and the first building (which is still in existence) erected in Tharsis Street in 1861. A larger building was opened in 1894 at the corner of Fountainwell Road and this in turn was replaced by the current premises in 1984, with a new hall being added in 1992.
For those interested in a fuller history of the congregation, a booklet was published in 1984 to coincide with the opening of the present building.